Rockwell on the River
Open Friday – Sunday September 10th-20th and weekends September 26th-October 18th!
Wateriders is excited to announce that for 2020, our 24th season, Chicago River paddlers will now have the option of kayaking in the placid waters of the North Branch at Rockwell on the River, 3057 North Rockwell, just south of Belmont Avenue.
Unlike the bustle and excitement of downtown’s dazzling buildings and crowded Riverwalk, Wateriders’ new outpost offers a chance to unwind and enjoy an urban forest bath amidst the trees, birds, and occasional turtles enjoying the revitalized river’s reemerging biodiversity.
Rockwell on the River is an event space and retail/entertainment/office development housing Metropolitan Brewing’s stunning brewpub and patio, Metropolis Coffee’s roastery, a craft distillery and more. Event planners can now add a group paddle to the myriad of options available for weddings, bachelor/bachelorette parties, and more. Wateriders has also partnered with Chicago Electric Boat Company to provide a mixed fleet of human and electric powered Good Green Fun!
A kayak journey in and around Belmont offers respite from the city. The light glimmering off the gently bending stream immerses the paddlers in a peaceful glide through this majestic, urban ecosystem. We are so excited to offer our customers another way to recreate and enjoy the mighty Chicago River. Contact us to book a spot today!
Services Provided at Wateriders Northwest Include:
Enjoy a day on the water with friends and family! Camp Natililas is all about bringing the camp experience closer to home. Start the day with a 2-hour outing on the water in your choice of watercraft before returning to shore for games, and other camp classics!
All rentals must be pre-booked and are for a time of two hours. Please contact us if you have any questions!
Kayaks (single & double) – $40 per rider
Paddleboards (two available) – $40 per rider
- All paddleboard rentals come with instructions and safety orientation and beginners are welcome
- All rentals before 12pm receive a free cup of coffee!
Canoe Rentals (two available) – $40 per rider
- Canoes available Thursday – Sunday
- Only experienced canoeists
Kayacht Electric Kayaks (two available) – $80
- 90 minute duration
- Enjoy all of the kayak-like exploration with out electric kayaks
- Rentals include instructions and safety orientation
Electric Donut Boat & Kayak Adventure (6-16 people) – $489 for 2 hours
- Mix of kayak and donut boat adventure. Your own pod!
- 12:00 – 5:00 start times
- Thursday – Sunday
- Alcohol consumption permitted for Donut Boat Passengers
Morning Rentals “Kayak Klatsch”
- Enjoy a morning paddle at Rockwell (starting before 10 AM) and enjoy a cup of Metropolis Coffee, and 12 oz of fresh roasted beans, on us!
One Way Kayak Rentals
- Rentals from Rockwell on the River to Eastbank Club or vice versa
- Price is 2.5 times the hourly rate at the start location
- Participants can keep the boats out for up to three hours
- Available from Noon to 4:00 Thursdays-Sundays
- This adventure through Chicago is a great way to enhance paddling skills and enjoy the diverse urban landscape
- Not recommended for first time kayakers
*One-way Logistics: Experienced paddlers, in the judgment of Wateriders’ guides, will have the opportunity to enjoy a one-way kayak. For every one-way group:
- Guests will have at least one cell phone in a Ziploc or drybag with a number registered at the departure location.
- A deposit hold of $500 per boat will be placed upon a credit card until the kayak is returned.
- Kayaks are equipped with trackers and guests must stay on the river and only exit the boat at designated locations. No kayak may be taken off the river except for emergencies.
- One-way renters may also return the kayak to their departure location.
At Wateriders Downtown, we look forward to working with you to tailor a group outing at Wateriders Northwest. Our dock sits directly below Metropolitan Brewing’s magnificent Taproom and outdoor deck (food is available via a delivery app, beer post-paddling please). The building is also home to one of Chicago’s finest event spaces, Rockwell on the River, with its exquisite indoor and outdoor spaces. We can also work with groups that want a combination of kayaks and electric boats, through our alliance with Chicago Electric Boat Company. Please note that no groups larger than nine can go private tours (the tenth person is the guide). Visit our Private Tour page for more information and booking.